I woke up this morning, determined to get some things done before I got to spend the day with Chad. At six o clock, the doorbell rang and he was there standing at the door, with a warm smile. I jokingly said, "hey stranger," and he responded with an apologetic smile and replied, "I know, I'm sorry. I was working on my talk." This was definitely valid and I assured him that I was only kidding. I then inquired as to the plans for the evening. He shrugged. As we picked up the babysitter, I again asked what we were doing, but he only said "you'll see." We got back home and dropped the girls off, and I insisted that we take my car, for a change. Being the sweet person he is, Chad hardly allows us to drive in my car, and generally insists on using his. This time was no different. However, I decided to be playfully stubborn and jumped back in my car (which I kept running) while I waited for him to come. He came out of the house, and into the car and tried to turn it off, insisting we were taking his car. I smiled, as I had hid the keys underneath my legs, and was going to be stubborn this time. After a while of playful arguing, I suddenly saw a slight look of panic in Chad's face, and I finally gave in. We got into his car and I again asked where we were headed. He again refused to answer. By this time, I knew he was up to something.
We drove outside of Lethbridge, and onto the Coutts highway, and I kept trying to get an answer out of him as to our destination, but he remained secretive. We drove to Stirling, and into the driveway of Chad's parents' home, and he said that he had to run in and get something, and would be right back. I waited, and he came outside, walked over to the drivers side of the car as if he were getting in, then smiled at me through the window and walked over to my side to open the door for me. "Just kidding" he said, and proceeded to the trunk, where he retrieved take out food from O-sho's, one of my very favorite restaurants. We walked together up the steps and into the house, and I asked if anyone was home. "Nope," was his reply. My heart leapt as we stepped into the dimly lit living room. There before me was a table set up with candles lit. As I looked towards the right, covering the fireplace were tons of shimmering tea light candles, and in front were 4 enormous bouquets of roses, red and yellow. (Chad later informed me that there were 91 roses, representing how many days we had been dating.) It was a breathtaking sight.

As we sat at the table, I was overwhelmed by everything around me. I felt totally speechless. I noticed that at the table were set Sushi dishes, and everything on the table and around us looked so beautiful. Chad and I ate together, and I couldn't stop smiling, and I'm sure whatever came out of my mouth sounded ridiculous. I just couldn't believe how wonderful this all was, knowing how much trouble he must have gone to all day, setting things up. He always made me feel special and loved, and this night was definitely no exception.
We finished eating and Chad got up from his chair, and said "Ok, stay right there." At this point, my heart started to pound, wondering what else he could possibly be up to. He came back towards me with a gift in his hand, all wrapped up. "First, open the card," he said. I read the card, and my hands started to shake as I read, "Dearest Allison, This gift I now give to you is one of God's greatests gifts to man. Contained within are treasures of great worth. One such treasure is found in Ephesians 5:25. You will find it at the first bookmark. I hope that it will mean as much to you as it does to me. Love you forever, Chad" I looked at him, anxiously watching me as I opened the gift. Inside the wrapping paper, I found a set of scriptures, and on the front, in gold was enscribed "Chad loves Allison." I opened the scriptures to the bookmark, and they fell open revealing a red box which sat in the middle of the right hand side of the open book. I found the reference and my eyes started to fill with tears, as I read "Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ loved the church, and gave his life for it." We embraced at this point, and I was struggling to fight back the tears. He then retrieved the box out of the project that I then realized he had been working on all day. He admitted that it had been a difficult feat, to get the hole cut and the box to fit inside the pages.

I felt so honored that he worked so hard to make this so very special. Chad opened the box, and took out the most beautiful engagement ring, slid it onto my finger, and asked "Will you marry me?" "Yes," I replied, and it was followed by kisses and loving embraces between us.
I had never felt so special, and so loved in my entire life. We had previously discussed our desire to be married, and had spent a day in fasting and prayer together and both felt a spiritual confirmation of the Lord's approval of our desires. Therefore, we both knew that this day was coming, but he made it a beautiful night for me.
My heart was full and I felt the spirit again confirming to me, as it had before, that Chad is the most wonderful, most loving and incredible person that I could ever dream of finding to be able to spend my life and on into the eternities with. I want him to know that I love him and that I look so forward to the day when we will kneel together at an altar in a beautiful room in the House of the Lord, and there be sealed together as eternal companions. I thank Heavenly Father for the most wonderful blessing it has been to have been able to have Chad and also his daughters to be a part of my life, and my heart is full of joy and anticipation as I look forward to all the wonderful experiences and blessings to come.


4 comments:
I LOVE this post, thanks for sharing your engagement journal entry!!!
Wow - what a great day for me to take a peak!
So glad your mom shared this site with me Allison - you all look so loving and happy - just as God intended.
Much Love,
Jean Storey (nee Derbyshire)
What a fairy tale! I think I got a little teary eyed reading. Thanks for sharing. You guys have a wonderful thing going on. Congrats.
What a wonderful entry, he is a special guy and I'm so glad you found him and he makes you so happy( I can tell) What a wonderful life you will have together. That for sure would be a night you could never forget, what a sweetheart! Take care luv you guys!!
Post a Comment