Tonight, Chad encouraged me to head out on one of my coulee walks, and even though I hadn't planned on it, I did take the opportunity. It was about 7:30 and the last of the sunlight was peeking around the horizon, casting a pink glow into the Indian summer sky. I couldn't help but notice the beauty around me. The path that I take when I go has one point that slightly descends towards the west, and there is a rather breathtaking view of the hills on each side and the river up ahead. I noticed that a few of the leaves on the trees are starting to turn, and although sagebrush is not usually the most scenic sight, the colors of orange, red, and auburn were quite a lovely contrast among the green grasses of the hills.
My thoughts turned to a dream that I had last night. Chad and I were with our kids on a vacation, somewhere along the ocean coast. Upon arriving, we became aware that a hurricaine was heading straight for the area. We saw a forecast posted which showed the winds were to be blowing at a certain speed for that day, and the next, at a speed which would cause a total destruction right in the area we were in. We started scrambling to pack up and go back home to escape the danger, only to realize that there had been blocks set up because everyone else in the same place was trying to leave at the same time. We were unable to leave, and had to start preparing to ride the storm out, likely not to survive.
I am sure the dream stemmed from something I often think about: how rapidly the Second Coming seems to be suddenly approaching. Even just in the last year, there seems to have been so many more storms, destruction, illnesses, all kinds of chaos. In many places, that nightmare which I had is the reality. And then I think, how incredibly lucky and blessed that we are for the prosperity that we truly enjoy where we live. And then...I wonder, am I doing enough to deserve all of these blessings that I have? Am I working hard enough to make my good husband feel loved and supported? Am I raising my children to be righteous and stalwart spirits who will go through, undoubtedly, some incredibly hard, at the same time as AMAZING experiences as we come closer and closer to that day? Am I lifting up and serving those around me who may be in need?
It has been one of those nights that makes me SO thankful for all that I have. And I want to do more, and be better, and prepare to hang on to all I hold dear as those inevitable life storms will continue to grow stronger and stronger as time passes on. But for now, I just count myself lucky.
Friday, September 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Ahh, that makes me want to try a little harder myself :) I love you!ycofs
Post a Comment