Friday, December 19, 2008

A simpler, more meaningful Christmas

One question to ponder:
How did we get so lost in commercialism that our children no longer feel excited, or even care about the magic of Christmas? And how sad that within a week or 2 those 'wonderful' piles of gifts that they receive get added to the huge pile of stuff they already have in their room, likely not to be thought of again. We are trying to bring the real magic and the meaning back into our home and our lives.

I heard the most wonderful idea in a R.S. lesson on traditions. A family decided to follow this guideline for their gifts to their kids.

Something you want,
Something you need,
Something to wear,
And something to read.

We decided to make this a tradition in our home as well, SO...

Last weekend, the kids received the following letter from Santa...

DEAR ROMERIL GIRLS:

I wanted to send you a letter to let you know I am nearby and getting ready to make my trip out on Christmas Eve. I am watching all of the boys and girls to see if they are doing their best to be good. I really want everyone to realize the true meaning of Christmas this year and to remember what is really important, so I would like you all to think about one thing that you would REALLY like for Christmas, and then something you might be able to do to help someone else. I think it will make this Christmas even more special for you.

Please let me know what your one most wanted gift would be and I will do my best to bring it to you.

Love to you all, and please be good!

~SANTA~


I HOPE IT WORKS!

3 comments:

Tabitha said...

I love it so much!
We are going to try that next year!

Canadian Mommy said...

I've been doing that since Claire's second Christmas. I didn't want her to grow up expecting a huge pile of gifts.
We get her those four items, then santa brings one gift.
I go through toys all year to get rid of them, so why add too many back to the pile?! lol!
My parents and brother in law send my kids more gifts than I get them. It's too much in my mind!
Good Luck! and Merry Christmas!

EB said...

what a wonderful tradition we will have to add that to ours as well.
Thanks for sharing and have a merry christmas!